Primary Purpose: The position is responsible for the design, engineering and integration of cost-effective open system technology solutions in support of University client and Marketing requirements. The incumbent is responsible for formal, structured application development processes and understands the functionality, value and challenges of web-based systems. The position develops complex common web applications that are available across the enterprise in a highly resilient and performing manner. Work with existing staff to implement and troubleshoot integrations to meet the university mission.
Essential Functions: 1. Technical Leadership Designs web-based services and programs to meet complex business and academic needs. Interfaces with Marketing and Technology leadership to help define project requirements, develop outcomes, and make recommendations for initiatives. Provides technical leadership towards implementing solutions to further University goals or requirements. Provides senior level assistance to developers and technical support staff throughout Pacific Technology and the University.
2. Web Development and integrations Develops web services and sites utilizing commercial and open-source tools. Administration and maintenance of web content management systems (CMS). Prepares detailed specifications from which applications are developed and programmed. Ensures applications meet standards and technical specifications. Performs module and software upgrades to various web application packages and web services platforms. Serves as subject matter resource for supported online systems and assures their effective operation. Analyzes, tracks, and resolves application and/or platform bugs and errors. Creates appropriate documentation in work assignments such as programming code and technical documentation. Translates the clients requirements into technical specifications. Analyzes processes within a department to identify opportunities to optimize these through tools, applications and systems. Stays current in application development best practices, making recommendations to management for enhancements as necessary. Monitors various sites for performance and statistics, and assists with the development of key performance indicators.
3. Technical Project Management Researches, designs, and recommends enterprise systems and services utilizing commercial and open-source tools. Researches, analyzes, designs, implements and tests application software upgrade options and integration opportunities as new capabilities become available. Acts as technical project leads for multi-campus impacting projects. Contributes to ITSM processes and change management for production services.
4. Develops and promotes standard operating procedures. Researches and proposes improvement to the academic and business systems for the University.
5. Fosters collaborative support among administrators of servers and coordinates/documents problem resolutions.
6. Troubleshoots service failures to University web applications with root cause analysis and implements solutions.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Associates Degree or 60+ Continuing Education Credit Hours. Minimum of three (3) years or more of experience as a developer supporting a mission critical application based upon a leading platform.
Preferred Qualifications: A bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or technology-related field. Extensive knowledge of web content management systems (CMS). Drupal experience strongly preferred. Knowledge of the Pantheon web platform a plus. Demonstrated expertise in object-oriented software design and development. Proficiency building programs and web applications using three or more programming languages, tools and protocols such as JSR-286 portlet standards, Jackrabbit, Tomcat, SPRING MVC, Java EE, PHP, Liferay, JQuery, HTML5, ASP.NET and CSS or comparable technologies and the willingness to learn. Knowledge of project life cycle for web applications using various methodologies such as iterations and agile/SCRUM/KanBan, and CI/CD. Knowledge of e-learning system standards such a as SCORM/AICC/Tin Can API. Knowledge of LAMP (Apache and/or Tomcat-based implementations). Experience working with source control systems such as git, SVN, Mercurial and/or Team Foundation Server. Experience working with Web Services integrations utilizing XML/SOAP/REST. Knowledge of integrating and querying databases and directory services. Knowledge of integrations and development on Amazon Web Services (AWS) a plus. Knowledge in various scripting languages (Bash, Ruby, Python, Powershell, etc). Experience developing web services and integrations to meet objectives in higher education strongly preferred. Demonstrated ability to develop test plans, test data sets and analysis of system performance. Completion of the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management within 90 working days of start of employment. Ability to comfortably discuss computing topics with varying levels of personnel from student to CIO. Ability to provide solutions to integrate various disparate applications into a single service offering using existing knowledge and research. Ability to lead projects and knowledge and understanding of project management best practices. Must be capable of prioritizing and meeting deadlines for wide-ranging technical projects. Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computing equipment and phone. Must be able to work in an open office environment with moderate noise levels. Occasional standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Occasional standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel Work performed primarily in a standard office environment. Work performed during standard business hours, with some after-hours possibly required based on occasion. Some travel may be required between campus locations for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, and training. This position has consideration for 100% remote capability.
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are required to execute a release and authorization for a background screening.
University of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.