Boston College Introduction
Location: Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,445 full-time undergraduates and 5,125 graduate and professional students. Ranked 35 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1.2 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.8 billion.Job Description
The Software Release Analyst is responsible for organizing and overseeing the process for introducing and maintaining the release of software into the QA and production environments to ensure an efficient workflow. Work closely with the DevOps team to develop automation tools and formal procedures and audit controls. Work with application developers and other cross-functional teams to ensure that ITS supported-software products meet quality standards and compliance requirements and are aligned with Boston College security and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) standards as well as industry best practices. This individual also works with IT management to improve the software engineering processes and practices associated with continuously building, deploying, and updating software and environments.
Ensure that application software update procedures are in place to control and track all versions of software and documentation assets. The intent of these procedures is to promote the security and integrity of software through the use of standard, recurring processes across various platforms.
Provide support to ITS staff on the execution of QA releases prior to production releases.
Work closely with Systems Engineering to develop an efficient workflow from receipt of the application code through production.
Enforce standard release management processes by acting as a gatekeeper to the production servers, ensuring that operational policies and procedures are followed.
Participate in the development of new release management strategies and solutions including process improvements, the opportunity to automate processes, the resolution of internal client requests, and the fulfillment of business needs.
Anticipate client requirements due to changes in application development processes.
Ensure that proper backup and business continuity procedures are in place for software release processes.
Oversee and implement compliance and metric reporting and procedures.
Provide relevant data to external auditors as requested on software release procedures.
Ensure proper archiving of software application releases.
Maintain unit documentation as requested.
Maintain up-to-date audit controls
Collaborate with ITS staff on software release processes and issues.
Ensure that audit requirements are satisfied.
Provide training and guidance to ITS staff on the use of supporting CI/CD tools
Full-Time Equivalent Hiring Range: $74,350 to $92,950; salary commensurate with relevant experience.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and experience. Minimum of four years of hands-on experience with release management of complex software systems.
Role specific competencies:Closing Statement
- Working knowledge of Agile software development methodologies
- Experience with Atlassian software development and management tools.
- Requires a working knowledge of DevOps and other release methods of software.
- Familiarity with the applications development lifecycle and source code management concepts.
- Technical and analytical aptitude and the ability to solve problems creatively in multiple platforms (e.g. z/OS, Unix/Linux and Windows).
- Ability to work within tight time constraints, multi-task, prioritize and adjust to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of compliance (currently SAS 115), ITIL best practice standards and related audit and compliance principles.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with others and demonstrate a customer-focused orientation.
- Familiarity with relational database administration, network security and access procedures and computing environment scripting languages.
- May work nights or weekends in order to meet project and reporting requirements.
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored 403b Retirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sick and Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts pre-employment background checks as part of the hiring process and requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Boston College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. In concert with our Jesuit, Catholic mission, Boston College is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications for women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination.