Boston College Introduction
Location: Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,445 full-time undergraduates and 5,125 graduate and professional students. Ranked 35 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1.2 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.8 billion.Job Description
Boston College seeks a Senior / DevOps Administrator that will be a key member of the Systems Engineering Team responsible for evidence-based practices pertaining to the development, deployment, and maintenance of software across the University with an emphasis on empirical and quantifiable measurements of success. The Senior DevOps Administrator will work closely with development teams to automate and integrate complex enterprise services through a rigorous adherence to the technical and cultural pillars and practices of DevOps and SRE while aligning with the technical direction of the University.
The DevOps Systems Administrator collaborates with the application development and infrastructure teams to provide approaches and support for connecting all elements of an application and integrating the necessary components that are needed to run complex enterprise systems. They apply agile and SRE methodologies with continuous integration pipelines and configuration management through infrastructure as code.
The DevOps Systems Administrator will facilitate and implement processes, tools and standards for the rapid deployment of software and efficient operation and maintenance of critical IT systems and services; automate and streamline operations and processes, build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations; troubleshoot and resolve issues in our test, dev and production environments. The DevOps System Administrator has highly effective communication skills and is able to foster teamwork and collaboration across IT areas to achieve operational efficiencies. He/She will also play a key role in transitioning on-premise applications to the cloud and/or in containers when deemed appropriate.
Skilled in information security, governance, integration, data architecture, and programming
Analysis, problem solving, and conflict resolution
Understanding of SRE principles and practices
Observability concepts and tools with a focus on performance and incident management
Hardware design, software design, development and testing
Ability to take a concept to implementation
Work closely with the DevOps team to deliver the following:
Authors code, scripts, etc. to assist in the development of infrastructure automation to help improve the functionality and efficiency of the organization
Follows the current development workflow that includes, but is not limited to, managing tasks via jira, authoring/modifying code, testing, applying practices of SRE principles
Engages in re-administration processes or rearchitecting current toolstack and/or infrastructure
Collaborates with developers and engineers to ensure systems are functioning at the highest capacity
Ensures rapid response for any technical issues
Title and salary commensurate with relevant experience based on the following titles and hiring ranges:
Senior DevOps Systems Administrator - salary from 96k - 120K:
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related field.Five years of related experience preferably with complex build and deployment systems or combination of education, training and experience.
DevOps Systems Administrator - salary from 80k - 100K:
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related field. Three years of related experience preferably with complex build and deployment systems or combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience in implementing and managing DevOps tools such as: version control (git, github, bitbucket), CI systems (Bamboo, Jenkins, etc), artifact management (artifactory), configuration management (ansible), container platform (docker, kubernetes), monitoring tools (prometheus, datadog) and other related tools
- Knowledge around the concepts for observability and methods/tools used for instrumentation
- Understanding of SRE disciplines for curating and maintaining automation that promotes reliability, efficiency, and scalability
- Experience with continuous integration, testing, and deployment
- Experience with systems development life cycle
- Knowledge of source code management and secret management
- Comfortable with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
- Demonstrate flexibility within a variety of changing situations while working with various individuals and groups
- Capable of technical deep-dives into operating systems, application performance, databases, load balancers, networks, and storage systems
- Experience with containers, container orchestration and container registry management
- Experience in writing infrastructure as code in the Cloud (CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a strong team player with the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively in a geographically dispersed working environment.Closing Statement
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored 403b Retirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sick and Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts pre-employment background checks as part of the hiring process and requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Boston College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. In concert with our Jesuit, Catholic mission, Boston College is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications for women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination.