|Department: || |
Office of Institutional Advancement
Institutional Advancement inspires commitment to UMBC. We lead fundraising and economic development initiatives to support the University’s strategic priorities and goals. We cultivate and steward relationships with individuals, foundations, corporations, alumni and colleagues to support UMBC and our community.
In alignment with the University’s values and priorities, we are committed to maintaining a flexible and dynamic work environment that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion; professional and career development; and collaboration and innovation across units. All team members in Institutional Advancement are responsible for contributing to a culture that is collaborative, inclusive, impactful, authentic and forward-thinking.
|Position Overview: || |
The Associate Director, Industry Research Development will join a strong university-wide Corporate and Foundation Relations team and focus on expanding UMBC’s corporate-funded research across campus. Corporate gifts and grants provide critical financial support for graduate education and faculty research at UMBC. As one of the university's frontline fundraising staff, the Associate Director will help increase corporate investment and build key partnerships that support the University's research priorities. This person will report to Institutional Advancement and work closely with the Office of Research and Creative Achievement.
|Why Work at UMBC? || |
UMBC offers competitive compensation. This role starts at $92,000 and offers benefits such as paid leave and insurance coverage. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a 2022 Great College to Work for…. In every category.
|Telework: || |
A hybrid telework schedule may be available.
|Responsibilities: || |
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop strong internal campus relationships with researchers, grant managers, etc. and a thorough understanding of university research policies
- Monitor the landscape of corporate investment in research areas important to UMBC and advise academic leaders on trends in corporate research funding
- Support the development of industry research proposals
- Conduct targeted outreach and relationship development with companies funding university research and facilitate high-value introductions with UMBC researchers
- Cultivate corporate partners for major federal grant programs, proposals and centers, such as NSF Industry University Cooperative Research Centers, etc.
- Guide faculty in creating competitive applications to open research RFPs (Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Cisco, etc.)
- Serve as a key knowledge source within Institutional Advancement on major research projects and programs at UMBC
- Represent UMBC at important on- and off-campus events
|Required Minimum Qualifications: || |
- Bachelor's Degree
- Two years of professional experience in research development, technical or business collaboration, innovation and/or related fields requiring partnership development, knowledge of technical topics and project management
|Preferred Qualifications: || |
- Academic research experience and/or advanced academic degree
- Knowledge of industry research models and methods
- Experience managing and executing complex, concurrent, time-sensitive projects
- Exceptional collaboration, communication and technical writing skills
- Ability to successfully engage with individuals at all levels, from students to CEOs
- Independent problem-solving skills with experience handling confidential material
- Commitment to UMBC’s vision and culture of inclusive excellence, social responsibility and lifelong learning
|Special Instructions to Applicants: || |
Upload a cover letter and a resume.
|Closing Date: ||This position will remain open until filled. For best consideration, please submit cover letter and resume by March 30, 2023. |
|Benefits: || |
UMBC offers a rich benefits package.
Regular and grant funded regular positions (Full benefits summary click here):
Generous Leave which includes accruing:
- 22 Days of Annual Leave
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (including the choice of joining the pension plan)
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
|Salary: ||Salary starts at $92,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. |
|Hours: ||Full-Time |
|Type: ||Contingent II, Contractual |
|Additional Information: ||Please note that this is a full-time contractual staff position. The contract term will be for a one-year period, with the option to renew. |
|FLSA Status: ||Exempt |
| Equal Opportunity Statement: ||UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. |
|Title IX: ||As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here. |
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
|Work Authorization: ||As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work. |