Boston College Introduction
Location: Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,445 full-time undergraduates and 5,125 graduate and professional students. Ranked 35 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1.2 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.8 billion.Job Description
The Data Warehouse/Integration Developer is responsible for data integration, data collection, and data science for Boston College, establishing data integration architecture standards and supporting the many data integration applications implemented as business-focused solutions.
The responsibilities include developing and supporting large-scale data structures and pipelines to ingest, move, transform and integrate data to help generate insights and meet advanced analytics and reporting needs across various business units. In addition, this individual is a member of ITS project teams involving data integration across the University to translate end-to-end user needs into high-performance design.
In addition, this individual must be able to analyze business requirements and recommend the most appropriate data integration solution to satisfy business requirements concerning data warehouse, data store, MDM, and other related projects. Able to meet academic, research, or administrative specifications while balancing potential solutions vs. ITS architectural strategies and end-user requirements.
Primarily responsible for the following functions in the University:
- Interface with business-aligned IT applications teams to design, develop, implement and support a wide range of data integrations, transformations, and migrations.
- Leading small, medium, and large data integration projects
- Construct custom ETL processes: Design and implementation of data pipelines and data marts, access versatile data sources, and apply data quality measures.
- Develop a data integration roadmap for introducing and implementing new technologies.
- Desirable experience on-premise data warehouse/lake migration to the cloud and other similar migrations.
- This position plays a vital role in customer experience by working with the BI team, ensuring the smooth delivery of best-in-class data integration services that meet and exceed customer requirements. Requires a unique combination of technical/business acumen, interpersonal skills, and passion for delivering high-quality services to our customers within the University.
Title and salary commensurate with relevant experience based on the following titles and hiring ranges:
Senior Data Warehouse/Integration Developer:
A minimum of five years of experience and higher with a thorough understanding of Data Integration methodologies, business intelligence, and data warehousing principles and architectures, including the concepts, design, and usage of data warehouses and data marts. Able to lead projects. Salary range: 97,560 to 121,950
Bachelor's Degree in technology or information systems or related field.
5 + Years' experience in building Data Engineering pipelines using Information Server DataStage, Quality Stage
5+ years of experience in Data Warehousing, Data Migration, Data Replication, and MDM projects
2+ years of experience with UNIX/Linux including basic commands and shell scripting
2+ years of experience with Agile engineering practices
Preferred experience in working in a DevOps Environment using DataStage
Knowledge of CI/CD Pipelines
Master in one or more of the following areas: database concepts, multi-tier/multi-platform application development, distributed processing, open-source, object-oriented programming concepts, and understanding of systems design. Able to direct or provide guidance on the design of solutions in or between domains
Preferred knowledge in Different Data Ingestion & Integration pipelines
Demonstrated mastery of various testing concepts and debugging tools.
Expert understanding of source code management tools and concepts
Desirable experience in Middleware, Infrastructure operations, integration, and automation
Desirable knowledge of Information Analyzer, Information Service Director
Understanding of DevOps concepts and tools
Excellent verbal and written technical and business communication skills. Able to communicate with various areas of IT.
Demonstrated technical expertise in the architecture and implementation of applications and systems of medium to high complexity.
Able to drive and coalesce support for changing requirements and priorities.
Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior developers (staff & senior level)Closing Statement
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored 403b Retirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sick and Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts pre-employment background checks as part of the hiring process and requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Boston College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. In concert with our Jesuit, Catholic mission, Boston College is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications for women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination.