McCormick & Company, Inc., a world leader in the spice, flavor and seasonings industry, is seeking a full time Senior Project Engineer. This new hire will work in Corporate Headquarters, located at 24-1 Schilling Road in Hunt Valley, MD. The Senior Project Engineer will report to the Americas Supply Chain Engineering Director.?
With more than $4 billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry - retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. We create differentiating flavors consumers prefer “ To Stand Together for the Future of Flavor”. Our Vision: A World United by Flavor-where healthy, sustainable, and delicious to hand in hand.
As a company recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, McCormick offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services. Benefits include, but are not limited to, tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, paid holidays and vacations.
Under the general direction of the Project Manager, the Sr. Project Engineer is responsible for developing, leading and executing large and strategic capital projects in a manner that follows all process and technical standards. The Sr. Project Engineer will have responsibility for multiple projects simultaneously, across multiple manufacturing sites within the North American network.
- Provides engineering leadership to the cross functional project teams which may include McCormick salaried and hourly personnel, contractors, vendor reps. Represents Engineering within business and cross-functional teams.
- Assists North America Engineering in the development of strategic capital plans across multiple manufacturing sites.
- During the project development phase:
- Develops detailed charter and objectives in an environment where scope and deliverables may be ambiguous and needs to be brought into focus
- Writes technical specifications and standards to meet project deliverables
- Develops cost justifications, scope, schedule, and budget estimates
- Writes, submits and presents capital request documentation.
- Drives development of project success criteria for vertical start up and alignment with sponsor and stakeholders
- During the project execution phase:
- Responsible for scope, cost, and schedule management
- Responsible for project success through training planning and execution.
- Evaluates vendor proposals, makes equipment selections, negotiates contracts, enters requisitions, reviews and approves invoices.
- Makes Best Value Option Analysis to compare solutions and cost for best value and provide recommendations to leadership.
- Reviews, marks up, and approves drawings and other technical documentation
- Develops FAT planning and executes successful FAT
- Provides field installation supervision, leads commissioning, and field troubleshooting during startup phase.
- Identifies and resolves technical problems
- Communicates project status throughout the organization
- Coordinates and supervises contractors and vendor reps and construction management
- Completes closeout and capitalization documentation.
- Develops and executes IQ, OQ, PQ with project team during installation, commissioning, qualification, and verification project phases.
- Ensures that all technical deliverables, cost, and schedule requirements are met throughout the execution of the project.
- Drives adherence to standards, develops/contributes to company technical specifications and standards.
- Adds value by influencing through innovation and continuous improvement.
- Identifies, develops, and implements process improvement projects to increase productivity, reliability, sustainability, and cost reduction.
- Supports a High-Performance Organization (HPO) environment by utilizing a total team approach to capital project execution and process improvements.
- Trains and develops other engineering resources in the network
- This role will lead several initiatives which may include
- Automation projects
- Production efficiency improvement projects (PR/OEE improvement)
- Distribution center projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Minimum 7+ years of project engineering experience in the manufacturing industry
- Demonstrated leadership, planning, organizing and communication skills
- Experience managing multiple projects from the evaluation through implementation stages
- Experience developing justification, scoping and managing capital projects to budgets and schedule
- Contractor management experience, including scoping the work, managing a bidding process, negotiations, field installation supervision, and change order management
- Experience leading small and large project teams
- Ability to follow up and prioritize project issues independently and juggle multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, troubleshoot, and solve technical problems.
- Proficient in Excel, Power Point, MS Project, Word, AutoCAD
- Must have solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work weekends, varying shifts, holidays as project execution schedules may require.
- Travel will be approximately 20%, but may be higher during specific project phases (i.e. FAT)
- Project engineering experience in the food processing, pharmaceutical, facilities, and/or chemical processing industry
- Knowledge of cGMP systems
- BS or MS Degree focused in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Specific Automation roles require experience in industrial controls and automation
- Experience with dry and liquid processing, facilities, and packaging equipment
- Knowledge and experience with plant operations, CAD systems and shop floor integration
- Experience with SAP or a similar ERP system
- Lean Six Sigma knowledge
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- A strong understanding of sanitary design concepts
- Experience with maintenance programs and processes
- Experience with TPM
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance programs
- Working knowledge and general understanding of PLC/equipment controls methodology
McCormick & Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a general policy, McCormick does not offer employment visa sponsorships upon hire or in the future.